San Antonio Animal Hospital provides high quality, compassionate veterinary care for pets and their owners living in San Antonio as well as nearby communities of Dade City, Zephyrhills, Wesley Chapel and Ridge Manor. San Antonio Animal Hospital offers wellness exams, vaccinations, soft tissue surgery, dentistry, digital radiography, nutritional counseling, micro-chipping, breed identification testing and much, much more. We also have an in-house pharmacy and laboratory! Annual wellness exams are an opportunity for our veterinarians to provide your pet with a comprehensive exam to determine if your pet has any potential health issues. If you have any questions about your pet's health, don't hesitate to call us today at 

352-588-2132

If you are new to our website, please browse around to learn about our hospital, veterinarians and support staff.  For directions to our office, to ask us a question or to submit feedback, see our "contact us" page.

 

Remember, San Antonio Animal Hospital is “Your other family Doctor!”

Dr. Diana Mattox

 

Dr. Diana Mattox
San Antonio Animal Hospital | 352-588-2132


 
 
 The Grapes of Wrath

Charlotte Means DVM

 

Magoo was a big, playful Labrador retriever who often got himself into some sticky situations. Usually, his escapades were harmless. But one day, he managed to snag a box of raisins from the pantry and ended up eating an entire pound of the sweet treats. Other than being exasperated by Magoo's behavior, his guardians didn't think much about it. They knew that lots of people shared grapes with their dogs and often used raisins as training rewards. So it hardly seemed the kind of emergency that required a call to the veterinarian. In fact, if Magoo's parents had called the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) just a few years ago, they would have been told not to worry about it.

Through the Grapevine

Enter the APCC AnToxTM database, a computerized system that contains nearly 500,000 animal-related medical conditions and that enables veterinarians to quickly identify toxic-substance exposures, recognize clinical signs and administer proper treatment. By tracking cases in this registry, similarities in animal medical conditions nationwide can be logged and syndromes can be identified.

Around 1999, the APCC began noticing a trend in dogs who had eaten grapes or raisins: Nearly all developed acute renal (kidney) failure. As more cases were reported, enough data was generated in the database to help veterinarians identify and treat dogs at risk. In all of the cases, the ingredients for potential acute renal failure were the same. Whether the ingested grapes were purchased fresh from grocery stores or grown in private yards didn't seem to matter, nor did the brand eaten. And the ingested amounts varied considerably, from over a pound of grapes to as little as a single serving of raisins. The cases weren't from any specific region, but instead came from across the United States.

The database showed that dogs who ate the grapes and raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. Most of the time, partially digested grapes and raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating (anorexia), and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic, and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days -- sometimes even weeks.

When medical care was sought, blood chemistry panels showed consistent patterns. Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels) was frequently present, as well as elevated levels of blood urea nitrogen,creatinine and phosphorous (substances that reflect kidney function). These chemistries began to increaseanywhere from 24 hours to several days after the dogs ate the fruit. As the kidney damage developed, thedogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. In some cases, dogs who received timely veterinary care still had to be euthanized.

Why did the fruit cause the dogs to become ill? No one knows. Suspect grapes and raisins have been screened for various pesticides, heavy metals (such as zinc or lead), and mycotoxins (fungal contaminants) and so far, all results have come back negative. In the cases where the grapes were grownin private yards, owners confirmed that no insecticides, fertilizers or antifungals had been used on the fruit.

"Raisin" the Success Rate

Even though the exact cause of the renal failure is unknown, dogs who ingest grapes and raisins can be treated successfully to prevent its development. The first line of defense is decontamination. Inducing vomiting in recent ingestions and administering activated charcoal helps prevent absorption of potential toxins. Dogs should be hospitalized and placed on intravenous fluids for a minimum of 48 hours. A veterinarian should monitor blood chemistry daily for at least three days following the ingestion. If all blood work is normal after three days, it's unlikely that kidney failure will occur. If a dog shows evidence of renal failure, fluids must be continued, and other medications should be used to stimulate urine production. Some dogs may need peritoneal dialysis, a process where the peritoneum (the membranes surrounding the abdominal organs) is used to filter waste products that are normally filtered by the kidney.

Thanks in part to the AnTox database, grape or raisin ingestion can be easily identified and treated. Today, a dog can make a complete recovery from this potentially fatal condition.

Dr. Means is a veterinary toxicologist at the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, Illinois.

 


View Your Pets Records on Your Smart Phone 

How to Configure Your Petwise Mobile App

 

Facebook

 


Contact us at

352-588-2132

Office Hours:

Mon 7:30am 5:30pm
Tue 7:30am 5:30pm
Wed 7:30am 5:30pm
Thu 7:30am 5:30pm
Fri 7:30am 5:30pm
Sat Closed Closed
Sun Closed Closed

To help accomodate busy schedules we offer drop off appointments.


    AAHA_accredited_tag_right_BW

 


 

  Vetsource

  


 

In case of an after hours emergency, contact:

Tampa Bay Veterinary Emergency Services
238 E Bearss Ave 
Tampa, FL 33613 
(813) 265-4043

or

Florida Veterinary Specialist
3000 Busch Lake Boulevard 
Tampa, Florida 33614 
Phone: (813) 933-8944 

 


 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service